Friday 14 September 2012

What's all this then?


I often come across interesting archival photographs in my work as a folklorist and archivist and was posting so many of them to the ol' Book that I decided to give in and finally start a blog. 

I'll be sharing with you some of the images I come across on a daily basis. I'm currently working with The Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador (HFNL), cleaning up their physical files. This means sorting through thousands of photographs in order to prepare them to be donated to a local archive. Here are a few I've come across already. 

 


This first image is from a file for the Bank of British North America, a designated heritage structure in St. John's, NL.  The exact date of the photo is unknown.

 Courtesy of: The Centre for Newfoundland Studies   (CNS coll-137, # 944) 
   



Courtesy of: The Grand Falls-Windsor Heritage Society
Check out this hottie tomattie! This is a picture of a framed photo from the Grand Falls-Windsor Heritage Society. This is Esmé Harmsworth, Lady Cromier, daughter of Esmond Harmsworth, 2nd Lord Rothermere. I took this photo in March 2012 while doing fieldwork in GFW about mill baskets. Love the dress!!!















Courtesy of: The Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
Not the best quality, but I thought this pic was pretty neat. This was taken outside of Hearn House in Brigus. Date and identity of the people is unknown. 

I asked Philip Hiscock, a professor in the Memorial University Folklore Department if he had any idea when this pic may have been taken. 

He notes, "Hmmm, my guess is the 1930s. They are all old guys, so they would be a little old-fashioned for the time."

No comments:

Post a Comment