Monday 17 September 2012

Spaced Out


In an earlier post I mentioned that I'm currently working with the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.   One of my responsibilities is cleaning up the physical files and getting rid of the bulk. Some items can take up a lot of space in administrative files and doing a few simple things can potentially give back several feet of free space.

The Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador, located at 1 Springdale St, was once Whitten's Hotel. Courtesy of: The City of St.John's Archives (E.101.027)

For example, dispose of invoices that are over 7 years old and any non-essential correspondence. Get rid of photocopies of publications-these can be found again.

Also, remove (and stop using!) staples, paperclips or fasteners in your physical files. If you ensure the original order of the file is not disrupted when in use, these items are not necessary. Staples and paperclips add bulk and also act as "agents of deterioration", which is just a bad ass way of saying they will damage your materials. If I had a dollar for ever rusty paper clip I've seen...well I wouldn't be rich. But, I'd be able to buy my lunch today instead of eating the leftover granola bars and mini boxes of raisins I have in my desk drawer.

And if applicable, only keep samples of photos. Surplus photos can be given to a local archive which will act as a physical repository and offer methods of preservation, such as light and humidity control. Photos can be kept in acid free envelopes and photos boxes and if you must write on the back of the photo, use pencil only.

Hope this finds you well, happy filing! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment